Thursday, August 16, 2007

First Day of School

I have to admit I have been very anxious about today...Anxious defined as "I couldn't wait for the day to get here," and anxious defined as in "true anxiety of how will it go!" Yep the first day of school.

Now I am very lucky that the boys go to a school where both my mom and my sister teach, and they have a full day 4 year old preschool program... so Eli has had the opportunity to spend a lot of time up at school this summer getting very familiar with everything. We have played in his classroom, spent lots of time with the teachers and preschool director and Eli really likes being at school, however I was still very unsure how he would react. The other nice thing about my mom and my sister being there is that they could check in and give me updates all day long!


So by all reports he did well... we had a few appearances of the "Eli" where he falls to the floor and lays quietly as his display of dissatisfaction... but on the other hand...he participated in the group activities, ate lunch without incident, didn't have any bathroom accidents and most importantly didn't escape from preschool... which was one of my major fears, that he would just run out the door of the preschool building into the main school building!
At the end of the day when I picked him up he was all smiles... and said "school fun!" I would say it was a successful day!

The real test will be tomorrow... again I am anxious to see his reaction when I drop him off in the morning! Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

what a huge milestone! so happy to hear that things went so well. and how lucky for you all that both of your guys have family around all day if needed. :)

Kelly Goree Photography said...

seriously, shan - eli and carson could be brothers too! unreal!

he's so freakin' cute and i love how loved he is - the one with Paige and your mom hugging the boys is just too cute for words!

SO glad it went well and that YOU made it through :)

Erica Hernandez said...

How did week 2 go??

april said...

Shannon, I just spent almost an hour catching up on all your posts re: Eli. (Kelly linked me) So glad things are going well, been thinking about how you're adjusting, so it was good to read and get caught up. Eli is too adorable for words. Glad you have him in OT and ST (ST was my major in college, not that I am doing anything related to it now, but it does have a soft spot in my heart). It can work wonders with the right therapist and committed parents like you. Keep us updated!

Leslie & Shaune said...

Hey Shan... need an update :) He is glorious. How is he handling school? Our kids finally are back in school on Tuesday - wahoo.
We are in the waiting part of our process... dossier is in Vietnam, we are crossing our fingers that we have a referral in early spring.