Thursday, May 31, 2007

Things are looking good!

Again, I wish we had more frequent access to the internet and to phones... sorry for the delay, but we have some great news to share. On Tuesday we were able to get some papers signed and then were able to arrange to take ---oh, I guess we should share his name... Elijiah Cooper Zickel - Eli for short! we thought it sounded sort of like Igor and it just felt right to both of us!---- so anyway, we were able to arrange to take him to Kiev to the American Medical Center where we met with a pediatrician from New Jersey who of all things is a Rutgers grad... we had a nice exchange about the Big East rivalry. We wanted to get an opinion about some of the reports that were in his records that weren't adding up. The doctor evaluated him the best he could... Eli didn't want to cooperate much, he is not a crier and screamer, but just shuts down... the first thing we are going to tackle with him. Anyway after talking with us and the caregivers and doing a short exam he said that he couldn't with 100% certainty but he would not based on his exam recommend any additional tests/MRIs etc... and that he would most likely with proper nutrition, love and care develop into a healthy young little boy. He is little... at 4 1/2 years old he is 5% in height (38.5 inches) and 10% in weight 30 lbs. but the doctor was encouraged that he was at least on the charts. So based on that evaluation, and what our hearts are telling us, little Eli will hopefully be coming home with us in just over 2 weeks. We have our court date tomorrow- that is the next big step, the judge has to give us the OK and then from there it is a 10 day waiting period, then 3 or 4 days of getting paperwork, going to his birth city, getting a passport, another medical exam and clearance from the US embassy. God has been with us, Galya our faciliator has been able to work some miracles that has taken 4 or 5 days easily out of the process for us!!!! But ---Please continue to keep us in your prayers, it really is rough over here- we miss home a lot... We were sad last night when thinking about Jake being at his ball game and we weren't there to cheer him on.... Oh, Jennifer and Rick- we watched all of Season 1 of Entourage last night! most likely will tackle Season 2 tonight, we are HOOKED! Not sure when we will have access again, but as soon as we do we will update...

PS- for those of you who read my blog that are waiting to adopt from the Ukraine at some point when we are back in the states I promise to give a detailed overview of all the steps of our journey, I know when I was waiting to travel I read blogs to find out more information... I will share the full story - my prayers are with you as you get ready to set out on your journey!

21 comments:

Angie said...

Congratulations! I am so excited for you two. I can't wait to meet Eli.

Krista and Keith said...

Such great news!!! I am so happy for you all!! I had goose bumps reading your blog!! Anna was all bubbly yesterday when I picked them up from field hockey telling me about her new "baby" cousin Eli. Look forward to meeting Eli. (I still like Oliver though!) ha ha Safe travels!!!

paige fitzhugh said...

Hey guys! Loved reading this today...I'm already making bedroom decorating plans! WE ARE ON IT! I'll talk to you before we start painting....
Hey Friends that I don't have an e-mail for.... Eli's homecoming we want to have his room ready and decorated...if you want to be a part just give the proud aunt a call at 762-1474!!

Teresa Gardone said...

We are so happy for you! You are in our thoughts and prayers. We are keeping all of the Kirchdorfer's updated on your journey. God bless and have a safe trip home!

jane said...

CONGRATULATIONS, WE ARE HAPPY FOR YOU. WE CAN'T WAIT TO MEET OUR NEW GREAT GRANSON. HAVE A SAFE TRIP HOME, THE SOONER THE BETTER. WE WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.
LOVE YOU NANNIE AND PAPA

Lynn D said...

Wow, reading this gives me the chills! We have been waiting for your next post so to see this news is so exciting. Sounds like Eli was just waiting for you to find him. We'll keep thinking of you and be safe.

rachel said...

I had goosebumps reading your post! I'm ecstatic for you guys. Can't wait to "meet" Eli! Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way that all the necessary paperwork and such goes smoothly so you can come home :)

Kelly Goree Photography said...

oh shan!! i'm just in tears! congrats to all FOUR of you :)

And I'm so excited about when you're coming home. I'll just be back from Australia around then so I'll do my darndest to be there for pictures of the new Zickel family!

Huge hugs and continued prayers!

Greg said...

Wonderful news! We all miss you at work and pray for a red-tape free journey over the next few weeks. Jake must be over the moon to have a new little brother!

Melanie said...

that's such awesome news, shannon! :) god is definitely with you on this journey and no doubt with eli as well. continuing to think and pray for you all.

DP & Laura said...

Congratulations!!!! Ditto on the tears and goosebumps. I love the name and I am sure he will get settled well when you get home. I check your blog several times a day so this was really exciting news. I am in on the decorating if I am needed!!

Be safe travelling home with such a precious little boy
DP & Laura

Emily and Neil said...

WOW! Fantastic news! Our prayers are with you as you complete this journey. We can't wait to meet Eli!

Phyllis & Tom said...

Tom & I are so excited for all of you. It's great that the family just keeps on growing. Can't wait for the three of you to get home.
Love Phyllis & Tom

Suzanne Stewart said...

Yipee!!!! How exciting!! We have been thinking about you a lot and praying for you all. Sounds like all of the prayers are working!!! We are sooooo thrilled for all of you!
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I will be praying for court and the rest of your process. We leave in 2 weeks for Ukraine ourselves! We should be arriving as you're getting ready to leave. blessings, Beth

Jesse said...

What a great story line this has been! How wonderful and joyful to travel around the world and find someone you're searching for and who is searching for you - and he even looks like he belongs in your family. God works in amazing ways to bring us together! Our hearts are with you. We send blessings and prayers your way.

If you'd like another nickname suggestion, my idea is Lije - a character in a favorite book of mine.

Feel the love - Johnny & Christine

Erica Hernandez said...

That is AMAZING news, Shannon!! I've nbeen thinking about you guys tons and am so happy to read an encouraging report. Eli is a great name - can't wait to meet him!

doug and deanna said...

Sounds like everything is moving well. Don't worry about his size. Won't take long for a couple of ballpark hot dogs and fries to move him up the size charts! We can't wait to meet Eli!

Doug and Deanna

Jennifer said...

Hello Shannon and Kenny! We have been thinking alot about you guys and are so glad that things are going well! I'm sure that you can't wait to be home. Love the name! Elijah Cooper sounds very distinguished. Glad to hear that you're enjoying the DVD's. Can't wait to see the three of you!

Love and Kisses!
Jen & Rick

Shana said...

That is the news I've been waiting to hear!!! Just try to enjoy the rest of your time in Ukraine, this will be over with before you know it and you will be home soon! You will appreciate home SO much more now huh?! I am jealous that you are watching dvd's,we didn't even have a vcr where we stayed! Hearing any English was like music to my ears-I'm sure you feel the same way now. It's rough but it's worth it! I can't wait to meet Eli and hear all about your trip. Hopefully all your worries are over and it is smooth sailing from here!!! See ya soon

Dave and Charity said...

Wonderful News!!! You all were the topic of discussion at the Step-By-Step meeting last night. You definitely have a lot of prayers headed your way. Eli is a lucky little boy...to be coming here with such a loving and caring family! Congrats!