Tuesday, June 5, 2007

All by ourselves!!!!

So today has been a pretty memorable day... we actually made it through the day all alone without our translator who had to go out of town to work on some paperwork. We slept in and grabbed a cab to the orphanage at about 10:30 where after about 10 minutes we were able to find Eli and his group out on a walk... Shana --- in answer to your question... Eli is in a group of about 12 children, all of which are boys except for 2... he is in the youngest group in this home... I think they start taking children at this home after they turn 4... I would have imagined if we wouldn't have come along that in the next few months he would have moved up to the next group.... It looks as if they have kids up until about 7 or 8 at this home... and yes the girls all wear really big bows in their hair! So, after we found Eli we did some more bubble blowing, coloring and walking, except today Eli just wanted us to carry him, he wasn't much in the walking mood... Oh, and we can't forget the snacks... he loves when we bring him snacks... today it was some fruit snacks, some grape juice, which when he finished he kept putting the straw in and out to lick off any last drop he could... oh, and some raisins... the kid loves raisins! After that we were able to get a cab back to the center of town to the resteraunt we normally eat out... we were able to order- well since the same waitress has waited on us the previous 5 times we have eaten there it wasn't very hard... we were able to say spaghetti et serum (which is spaghetti noodles with a little cheese sprinkled on it) and fries... which you say... frees.... oh, and a coca-cola light for me, which is diet coke... after that we headed back to the sanctuary of our room where Kenny did some work for a few hours and I started reading the book "Size 12 isn't Fat" that Beaven gave me... about 1/2 way done with it now... really fun good read! Then we decided to venture out to the internet cafe all by ourselves and were able to get set up no problems... I think we are starting to get accustomed to the Ukraine, only took us 2 weeks! Not that we want to stay here any longer than we have to :)

And... we were feeling a little bad for calling you all slackers but man, glad we did, you all came through... loved reading all the comments... bummer about the 5/6 girls losing in the championship--- but congrats on making it that far! and cracked me up what Jake was going to say in church... the people in the cafe started looking at me I was laughing so loud... oh and Mason- we haven't seen your friend, but if we do we will surely tell him hi for you! And... as for clothes, are apartment in Kiev has a washer so we lucked out in that department, we have done laundry 2x... otherwise we would have been out of options on how to wear things!

As for pictures, of course I have taken a ton... but no way to download them to the computer, but we have another idea, hopefully this weekend we can get them to a developer in Kiev, get them printed then scanned and posted... it is worth a shot, you all need to see how cute this little guy is! Speaking of pictures, either tomorrow or Thursday we will probably be taking him to get his passport picture taken, he will love that because it means another ride in a car outside of the orphanage!

That's all for today... again, we love and miss everyone dearly... looks like around 10 days and counting!!!!! We'd love to make it home for the first Red Sox tourney game next weekend!

All our Love, Kenny and Shannon

16 comments:

DP & Laura said...

As you can now tell - I really do check your blog several times a day. Its about time there is a kid who likes raisins! I happen to love them but no one in my family can stand them. My ADD is kicking in so what's up with the big bows?? Are they color coded or something? You all sound like Danny when he was in Germany for 3 1/2 weeks. He ate at the same restaurant just about everyday except he didn't get a choice in what he ate. The open the doors at 5 and then serve their meal of the day when every chair is filled. He said it was great home cooked meals though. Just on a curiosity note - (and maybe Shana can tell me this) how well do these kids speak English and/or how long does it take for them to acclimate?

If you want some help creating/organizing the three or more photo albums when you get home, let me know. That is probably an understatement for the number of pictures but I am sure they are as perfect as you always do.

The count down is on so we can't wait to see you all!!

Love,
DP & Laura

paige fitzhugh said...

Yeah.. Uh-huh...(I'm dancing and singing cause this SLACKER was the first to get her blog on today! Nothing new since 10 last night...but I am ADDICTED to the blog so I had to check it (my second time today!)
Hey Clay just walked in....he says hi Sha Sha and Kenny and he wqnts to know what kind of underwear he can get Eli (a totally appropriate gift coming from him!) Your choices are Ninja Turtles, Superman, Spiderman or Power Rangers. Oh and what is his shoe size and favorite color? Do you think he will like St.X or Trinity ot The cards or cats? He wants you to let him know asap..it must be very important!
Love you all! Paige and Clay
Oh Here's Anna....She just said she wants those answers too..and get on that scanning pictures thing too! I NEED to see him!!!
Oh and don't forget just cause this says my SBS e-mail I am not there I'm at home. paigefitzhugh@bellsouth.net

paige fitzhugh said...

Crud! Laura beat me...By the way I just figured out who DP and Laura were yesterday when they wrote about Brianna's team!

DP & Laura said...

Sorry Paige - didn't mean to steal your thunder! Tomorrow I will wait until you post. I think Clay should go for the Power Rangers given they are the smallest SuperPowers of choice and Eli will have to be small but mighty!

Laura

Erica Hernandez said...

I love reading your updates, Shannon. I know I don't comment every time but my typing sicks :p
^
see!

You're so close now! You must be itching to get him home to meet his new brother!

Melanie said...

so thrilled for you guys and that the countdown is on for you to come back home. excited that eli seems to be so happy with the situation - that's great. :)

jane said...

HI, GLAD TO HEAR THAT HE LIKES TREATS, TELL HIM HE HAS A NANNIE WHO ALWAYS HAS TREATS FOR CUTE LITTLE BOYS. I WONDER IF HE WILL LIKE JUINOR MINTS AS MUCH AS JAKE DOES.
WE CAN HARDLY WAIT UNTIL YOU GET HOME. LOVE YOU, NANNIE

Phyllis & Tom said...

This might be the last time you hear from me because everytime I try to send a message I have to open a new account. I guest it's a age thing. It's sound like Eli is already twisting you two around his finger. GHe didn' feel like walking he wanted you to carry hime. TO CUTE.Can't wait to meet this precious little boy. If you don't hear from me again it's not that I am a slacker it's that they won't let me sign up any more. Have a sfe trip home .

Love Phyllis & Tom

Beaven said...

Hey there...I love reading your blogs because it makes me so happy that you all found a beautiful little boy to join or family...and I can not wait until you all get home...we miss you all and cant wait to see the new addition to our family....I just called Phyllis and apparently I need to call mom too...because I was having that same problem having to sign up for a new account everytime I got on to write a comment... but the trick I found out was the username is your email address and not your name... so I shared my knowledge with Phyliss and now I am about to call mom...anyway..love ya....Beaven....
P.S..We met with Father Bob and Father Chuck yesterday and planned most of how the wedding was going to go, tomorrow I have my first dress fitting and Ty's family is having a mexican themed shower for me...so I need you home to enjoy these festivities with me.....

Jesse said...

Hello, this is Jesse Zickel. What kind of toys do you think Elijah would like? My next question is this: When can we (Maddie and I) babysit Elijah? The final question I have is Do you think Elijah would like to go to huber's farm sometime?
Elijah's Favorite cousin (to be),
Jesse Zickel

Shana said...

Hey Guys, It sounds like you have this thing licked now!! Getting around all by yourself--I did not want to be without our translator, Good for you!! I bet it is SO cute to watch him eat his snacks and drink his drink. He probrobly gets So much enjoyment out of it! With Madison it was peanut butter crackers and she would lick EVERY crumb! I just can't wait to meet him and give him a BIG hug.

Never heard of your book but it sounds GOOD. You'll have to let me know! Are you guys getting home sick yet? Please take pictures of all the kids you can, I love looking at all of them!

Isn't it great that everyone is so involved with your process--All the kids and everyone else. I think I'm speaking for everyone when I say we already love him and have never met hime. I have a picture in my mind and if he is half as cute as I'm imagining--You are in BIG trouble later!!

Hope to hear from you soon, Take care!!

GA MILLERS said...

Ken, I hope you get some quality time with Eli before you get to Louisville so you can persuade him that his favorite color will be BLUE as in Big Blue and he will not like Red for a long time !!!!

Keeping your family in our prayers and hope to see you sometime this summer.

Love,
Gary, Cathy, Cortney & kelly

paige fitzhugh said...

Hey Jesse... game on. I plan to be Elijiah's fave cousin. Hmmmmm...how can I bribe a 4 year old that doesn't even speak my language? Believe me...i'll think of something...maybe I'll start with grape juice and raisins!!
Good Luck,
Anna (Eli's very soon to be favorite cousin:)

Angie said...

Okay so baseball camp was great on Monday. Yesterday Adam took quite the hit to the mouth at camp. He has a big fat lip. They are all still loving it though. I am taking the kids to the pool for a little while but they all have ball games so we won't stay to long. Try to get those pictures scanned so I can see Eli before vacation. Talk soon.

Mom said...

ITS DAD AGSIN. Well running a day late, but not a dollar short as the track is closed on monday and tuesday. Anyway Jake had a game Monday and got beat by the Orioles by 14 - 13 in the bottom of the sixth. Jake played hard and had one killer hit, a triple, but as is not unusual for these little guys if they make an error and the other team gets hot and starts hitting then here comes some runs and trouble. No matter what they put in a good effort. Also have a game Wednesday and i will keep you posted. Jake is doing fine and seems to enjoy B-ball camp. Can't wait to see my new little gut, Eli and you all when you get home. Be safe. Love Dad

Kandi said...

Ok, I am sorry I have not posted until now. I have been keeping up daily to see how things are and finally was able to sign up for a password. I am so excited for you! I love hearing all your adventures with Eli. He sounds like a wonderful little boy. I hope all continues to go well:)
Kandi