Sunday, June 3, 2007

The BEST day yet!

Yep, that was yesterday for so many reasons!

First off it was my Nannie's Birthday! I am so sad I wasn't able to be there for her party! Missed you and thought of you often yesterday, sorry I wasn't able to get through to you by phone!

We visited Eli yesterday morning for about an hour and a half and it was by far our best visit yet... when we arrived he was already outside playing with his group... imagine, 13 - 4 year olds running around outside in just shoes, socks, underwear and a hat... Clay would have loved to hang out with this group! He saw us and caught me off guard when he didn't come right to us, but instead was more focused on telling his caregiver that he was leaving with us... so I am thinking he likes to follow the rules- that is a good thing. We took him to another outside area of the orphanage where there was a bench/table (well it worked for that purpose) and we pulled out the coloring book and crayons that we had purchased for him and they were a huge HIT... he is still a scribbler but he does hold the crayon correctly and would try to color near the lines! He also purposely changed colors... not that he was coloring anything the right color, but he knew without a doubt when he wanted a new one. About 30 minutes into our visit the other couple from Louisville who are adopting from the same orphanage walked by with their son... we were all able to play together for the rest of the visit... we threw ball a bit, Eli took more of an interest in the ball than he had in the past and even improved his throwing arm... initially when he threw he would have his hand behind his head so when he released it would hit him in the back of the head and bounce off, good thing it was a soft ball.... Speaking of ball--- Jake- Mommy and Daddy are proud of you for making the Champions team- can't wait to get back home and watch you play again! So as our visit came to an end I always get anxious to see how Eli is going to react, he often goes into shut down mode .... but as Tonya (the interpreter with us) explained to him that we would be back on Monday he started to get sad and she told him to give us hugs and kisses goodbye and he ran to me and gave me the BIGGEST hug I have gotten from him yet, it was so full of LOVE... Kenny and I were both so encouraged to see that...

When we arrived back in Kiev we took some time to relax and watched the Italian Job movie... they had a funny one liner in the movie about not messing with the Ukrainians! and then we played a game of Rummy- Kenny currently is kicking my tail! and finally made plans to go to downtown Kiev with another couple the (forgive me ahead of time I am going to butcher the spelling of their last name) Anesko's... they are in the final days of adopting Max- a precious 2 year old who we have gotten to share a flat with for the last 2 days...we went to FRIDAYS and it was REAL American food! We had the works, appetizer, dinner and desert... such a nice treat... menus in English, potato skins and real chicken fingers... and then once back at the flat and with Max down for bed we watched Bruce Almighty... a fun flick!

But we had one more treat for the night... Kenny and I set our alarm to get up at 2am to call home... there were several people over at our house working on Eli's room... so fun to talk to so many people...we can't thank you enough for doing this for us... we are sure Eli is going to love his new home and what you all have put together for him! What a FUN surprise it will be for all of us! Kenny and I have talked over and over again about how lucky we are... we have the best family and friends any two people could ever hope for. Thanks for all your support... we so look forward to getting to the internet to be able to read the emails and comments on this blog, it becomes the hilight of our days! so keep them coming ;)

Tomorrow we may be moving to Pryluky for 5 or 6 days... so that we can visit Eli every day until we get to take him with us for good! We will keep you posted! Miss everyone

All our Love,
Shannon and Kenny

11 comments:

Phyllis & Tom said...

I am so HAPPY for all three of you. Sounds like everything is going good. I will be glad when the three of you get home so I can meet my new little nephew.I had his birthstone put on a bracelet for Nannie the other day. I am sure the Jake is getting so excited and can't wait to meet his new brother.Be safe and see you soon.

Love Phyllis & Tom

paige fitzhugh said...

Okay, it's hard to see the screen through all the tears! I am SOOOOO excited for you guys (and for our whole family). You have no idea how much joy you guys are bringing to all of us by adopting little Mr. Eli. If you could have seen everyone last night you would have been touched! 11 families in the Zickel house preparing for your homecoming. Scott, Ty Ronnie and I moved the rest of your desk stuff to get the room ready (therer are a lot of plugs that I don't know where to put!) Several of the guys and Robin took turns painting, Charlie and Rick F. are fighting over who is the best painter (SOMEBODY got a speck of paint on the ceiling)Todd supervised, the girls were all downstairs looking at the bedding and making decorating decisions,Dad, Beaven , Ty and Angie played cards for HOURS and about 20 kids running wild!(WE cleaned up our mess!)Shana and Greg told everyone stories about their experience in the Ukrain. It was nice to get some perspective on the whole thing!Oh and we drank A LOT of Beer! Bud Light was the flavor of choice! We all drank a few for you! I have heard from many friends (DZ's especially!) and Kenny's family and EVERYONE is involved in the preparations for your return so I hope you know how much you guys are loved..cause I am seeing it and hearing it everyday!Miss you and talk to you soon,
Paige

jane said...

HI, I AM SO SORRY I MISSED YOUR CALL. WE MISSED YOU AT MY PARTY, BUT YOU WERE THERE IN OUR HEARTS. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO GET HOME WITH LITTLE ELI. START TEACHING HIM TO SAY NANNIE. JAKE WILL SOON HAVE HIM THROWING THAT BALL THE RIGHT WAY. HE WILL BE PLAYING T BALL NEXT SEASON, AND WON'T THAT BE FUN.

LOVE YOU ALL, NANNIE {PA PA SAID "ME TOO"}

Beaven said...

Hey guys....it was great to finally hear your voice yesterday...even if it was whisper because you had to be quiet for the rest of the people you all are with....but we did have a great time last night...and Ty kept saying it is kind of funny we are having a party at someone's house that is not even there...but it was a party for our little Eli and you and Kenny... we miss you so much and we can not wait to see you all when you get home....I am glad that you finally are able to see Eli everyday so he doesnt have to feel unloved any more...he knows you all are his and he is yours...and that makes me tear up just thinking about how much you have changed that little boys life...Well keep us posted and tell Eli I said Hi or HiuNmsidnbudbmanuiniuiuiukjkjukj
(that Russian for Hi)....love ya Beaven

Joanna Bolick said...

I have tears in my eyes, Shannon! So happy for you guys - all of you!! Thanks so much for the updates and I hope you can come home soon!

Jesse said...

this is maddie, actually, not jesse. it sounds like you all are having of lot of fun with Eli. I can't wait too meet him when he gets home. Maybe sometime after school next year I can come and babysit for you all. I'm gonna be 16 sophmore year, so I'll probably want alot of places to drive.

Emily and Neil said...

Love it, love it, love it! The way you talk about him, just warms my heart. I have talked to Paige more these last few days and love hearing about him. Glad you finally got a good meal and I sure hope Eli likes honey mustard!! It will kill us to wait to meet him. Be safe. Love you, Em

Angie said...

I love Beaven's spelling for Hi in Russian. Thanks for supplying the house Saturday, we had a great time :) We are all so excited to meet Eli, Adam even keeps asking me when Eli is coming to Jake's house. Can't wait to see you guys!

Leslie & Shaune said...

Shannon. this is all so exciting to read. i have goosebumps thinking of your little boy. our time seems so far away still but reading your posts gives me patience.

Margie said...

Love the pics...journal is even that much better. THis is what reality TV should be like!
Eli, Jake and you are lucky to have found each other. Does he know what a fabulous scrapbook he's soon to have?
We miss you at work, Shannon. Like bloggin' a lot better than plan-to-sellin'!! Pretty cool how you can be so far away, yet be within 'bloggin' distance!
Bug Hugs from Margie

Michelle Bray said...

Wow! Great news! I've been behind in my blog viewing so I'm glad I've gotten caught up! So glad to hear your trip is going well and you have that handsome new addition to your family! Safe travels home...can't wait to hear you're all back in the 'ville! Congratulations!